There are 3 major crossing into Canada from I90:
- Peace Bridge at Buffalo;
- Rainbow Bridge downtown Niagara Falls;
- Lewiston-Queenston Bridge.
All of these bridges connect to QEW Highway.
- While traveling on the QEW, you cross a skyway bridge over the Welland Canal at St. Catharines and another 25 miles to the Burlington Skyway at the city of Hamilton.
- Upon leaving the bridge, look for highway 407 East.
- Stay east on East 407 for 41 miles to Hwy 400 North.
- This will connect the Burlington Skyway to Hwy 400 North and bypass Hwy 401 which was the cause of the worst traffic problems in the Southern Ontario area(***See note).
- Stay on Hwy 400 North, which will become Hwy 69 North and take you through Parry Sound.
- Approx. 40 miles North you will cross the Key, Pickerel and finally the French River Bridge.
- Continue approximately one more mile and call the lodge at 705 898-2222 from or as you pass the French River Trading Post to trigger us to send the water taxi. If you do not have a cell phone you can stop and ask to use the phone.
- Continue 7 more miles to HWY 64 and turn right.
- Continue 12 twelve miles on Hwy 64 will bring you to Hwy 528, a right turn.
- Follow Hwy 528 go the end, Wolseley Bay. Make a sharp left turn across a baily bridge and then a sharp right which is our parking lot.
- You will see 2 grey houses with blue roofs and we will be waiting with your water taxi.
- ***Hwy 407 is an electronic toll road and you will receive a bill via post. To avoid charges, you can take QEW to Hwy 403 East to Hwy 401 East to Hwy 400 North. This route will add at least an hour to your trip depending on the time of day.
All flights arrive in Toronto (YYZ) where you connect with Air Canada flights to either Sudbury (YSB) or North Bay (YYB). Please call several days prior to your arrival with your itinerary so we can make proper arrangements for you pick-up. NOTE: There is a $200.00 (return) per plane charge for Lochaven to provide ground transport to the airport. It is faster and cheaper for groups of 3 or more to rent a car or van at the Toronto Airport and drive, a pleasant 4 hour drive with no wait time for shuttle flight.
Our island coordinates are North 46° 04.613 minutes, West 80° 11.236 minutes.
Things to Bring
- Personal fishing gear
- Thermos & cooler for drinks and transporting fish
- Flashlight and batteries
- Adult beverages (beer in cans only, please-no bottles)
- Any specific snacks, chips or candy
- NO PERSONAL WATERCRAFT PLEASE (i.e. Seadoos, WaveRuners, etc.)
Please note, Crane’s Lochaven does not have a license to sell alcohol or tobacco products.